Tribe challenges are a great way to get everyone engaged and moving. Tribe owners can set challenges based on distance, duration or number of activities. A "Freestyle" option allows for fun challenges that help get the conversation flowing.
You can use challenges to
- Create virtual races of any distance where each member's best effort is recorded in the challenge leaderboard
- Set the whole tribe a cumulative goal, like 1000km between them in a month
- Set each member of the tribe a goal, like 150 minutes exercise during a week
Creating a challenge based on distance, duration or number of activities
You must be one of the owners of a Premium Tribe to create challenges.
- In the Tribe, tap on the Challenge entry
- Tap Create challenge →
- Give your challenge a title and tap on the camera icon to choose an image for the challenge
- Tap on Type of challenge to set up the challenge parameters
- Choose Distance, Duration (introduced in v1.42) or Number of activities then tap on the number to edit the target
- Select Each member, Whole tribe or Race
- Each member: each member of the tribe must meet the target, and the challenge is complete when everyone has met it
- Whole tribe: the distance or number of activities is the total achieved by everyone. This is a great option to help everyone feel included
- Race (introduced in v1.42): each member's fastest attempt at the distance or duration of the target is shown in the leaderboard. If they go further/longer than the target, then their time and distance is scaled down to the target. Activities that are short of the target don't count.
- Press Done to save your choices
- Expand on your challenge title using Deadline/other comments. Racefully doesn't automatically set or monitor challenge deadlines because Tribe owners often want flexibility based on the uptake. If the challenge has a deadline, use this section to describe it. The other comments are particularly useful for Freestyle challenges - see below.
- When you're done setting up your challenge, tap Save. All members of the tribe will receive a notification about the challenge.
Creating step-counting challenges
Step-counting Tribes have different options under Type of Challenge:
- Steps per day: Each member is given a target number of steps that they must meet on a minimum number of days to complete the challenge
- Total steps - each: Each member of the tribe is given a target number of steps to reach while the challenge is active
- Total steps - whole tribe: All the steps of the whole tribe are added together to get to the target
Creating a freestyle challenge
Freestyle challenges can be anything you like - photograph a flower, stand on your head, eat a healthy lunch. Let your imagination run wild! Often, Freestyle challenges involve members posting a photo or link to the Tribe chat. They're a great way to get everyone involved and sharing something about themselves.
The steps to set up a Freestyle challenge are almost the same as one for distance or number of activities. Choose Freestyle in the Type of challenge screen, and use Deadline/other comments to explain the challenge.
There's no automatic monitoring of Freestyle challenges, so it's up to the Tribe owner to decide when the challenge is complete, and close it at that point.
Ending a challenge
For challenges about distance, duration or number of activities, the group is notified when the challenge has been completed successfully. The group is also notified when everyone has had a successful attempt at a race challenge. The challenge doesn't automatically close at that point though, as some groups like to see how much they can beat the target by.
The Tribe owner can close a challenge by choosing the challenge on the Tribe homepage, then selecting End challenge. All members of the the tribe are notified that the challenge has ended. Now it's time to start a new one!
Tribes can only have one challenge active at a time, so you will need to end the current challenge before starting a new one.